Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Highly Deceptive

I'm rereading Iain McGilchrist's The Master and his Emissary very slowly indeed, to try and ensure I've grasped the nuances of his argument. Today I finished the third chapter, Language, Truth and Music and I've decided to reread it since the ideas relating to language as metaphor escaped me except in the broadest sense. Also he seems to be saying some extraordinary things about language in relation to communication; in effect, language might be better seen as an evolutionary element related more to the need for control - and possibly deception/concealment - though I'm not entirely sure McGilchrist thinks it's as simple as that.

But what an idea! It struck me that in many ways we've been seeing something related to this in action in the American presidency 2017 - 2020.

No comments: