Tuesday, November 3, 2020

In The Shallows

Surprised myself today when reading about the verdict on the Johnny Depp libel case and realising that somehow or other I know a bit about the background. Celebrity news is not my thing, but I suppose it was the fact this celebrity was suing the Sun sort of interested me since I presumed there was a fair chance the publication had misrepresented the celebrity in question, based on their past record.

In the event no one seems to have come out of this one with their reputation enhanced - though it's fair to say the newspaper in question must have had a reasonable case for running the story they did. Other than that, the emptiness and extravagant waste inherent in the lives of those involved is depressingly striking. I know that sounds judgemental and holier-than-thou, but it looks like straightforward fact to me. The notion that an intelligent and talented guy in his late fifties clings to the notion of the romantic outlaw in relation to imbibing various illicit substances boggles the mind. I mean, you think he might have figured it out by now.

No comments: