Friday, November 20, 2020

Going Bananas

Confusion reigns on the diet front. I am something of a banana man, especially with regard to breakfast on days when I am working. And the same is true of Peter. So it came as something of a blow when he informed me that Mei Hoe from HR had told him that the banana was generally regarded as a forbidden fruit when it came to breakfast, and especially so on an empty stomach. Since my stomach is always empty of a weekday morning, save for the banana in question, this came as less than welcome news. He also told me that he himself had researched the matter following the words of warning and it all turned out to be true. It seemed that the high potassium content of the fruit was involved - reminding me of the time the doctors told Mum there were to be no more bananas for her since another could easily kill her due to her high potassium levels - all on account of the medication she'd been on. (But that's another story, though a pretty good one, in its way.)

I informed Noi of all this - except for the bit about Mum, which she already knew - on getting back from work today, and she was more than a little sceptical, immediately going online and finding nothing but praise for the fruit. At which point I too did a little research, and got not very far at all. There is at least one 'expert' in the field who strongly cautions against a banana breakfast, and he's got a lot of attention, but this isn't necessarily reflected across all quarters.

So, as is so often the case with regard to what is reckoned to be good for you to eat, the jury is out on this one. And since I must admit to enjoying a banana in the morning I think I'll continue to live dangerously.

No comments: