Thursday, September 24, 2020

Insight

Richard Williams's unfailingly excellent blog thebluemoment.com is one of the very few music-themed blogs I drop in on regularly. His latest post, dealing with the work of Richard and Linda Thompson in the 70's, is typically informative & enthusiastic and left me feeling a little bit wiser as to the career of one of my favourite artists. It also served as a salutary reminder of the fact that my interest in RT only really blossomed in the late 90's. Mr Williams's mention of the eccentrically titled collection (guitar, vocal), which he helped compile, suddenly made me realise that it was that double album that finally got me into RT, but that was only after a few years of intermittently playing the thing until the light dawned.

The reference to the austerity of the Thompson sound accounting for their lack of popular success struck me as spot-on. Looking back I think that was the problem I had with the work in general. It didn't seek to please in terms of production, as if so assured of its quality it really didn't need to. I'm deeply glad I eventually got the point.

(Since the new, improved Blogger interface resolutely refuses to allow me to insert links, here's a link to the blogpost in question:  https://thebluemoment.com/2020/09/22/those-hard-luck-stories/ .)

No comments: