Monday, August 10, 2020

Things Left Out

Now reading the Season Songs segment of the TH Collected. Several poems in here that I love. Odd sense of something like nostalgia reading them again. (Wonder what happened to my copy of the collection. I had it in hardback, but it's gone now. Possibly Tony took it. Good. I like to think of him reading it.)

But I'm realising that despite my closeness to a number of the poems, there are bits that are unfamiliar. To my embarrassment I think I've never read the extended sequences, Spring Nature Notes and Autumn Nature Notes. Was I too lazy to deal with them when other 'easier' material was so readily at hand (or to eye)? I suppose that's the advantage of the sequential reading I've undertaken of quite bulky Collecteds in recent years - and even of slim volumes. You can't duck anything if it doesn't quite tickle your fancy.

Both of the sequences are superb, by the way. Vintage Hughes.

No comments: