Wednesday, August 5, 2020

The Right Stuff

Was chatting to Peter the other day, over the cup that cheers, about matters political in the good old US of A, with a specific focus on the up-coming election (which, to be honest, we're both obsessive about) and who might be selected as Joe Biden's running mate. We'd ranged over a few possibilities (actually all black and female, since we both reckon that's important in terms of getting the Democratic vote out) when two things struck me: 1) how easy it was to think of names and 2) how impressive the field was. I mentioned this to Pete pointing out that in our long-ago youths it would have been difficult to think of any black woman in America - indeed, probably any woman - as having the kind of resume that would have served to impress us. I further noted that if Condoleezza Rice stood for the Republicans in future she'd get my vote (assuming I had one, which I don't, and assuming the Dems put up a bit of an idiot) and I was hard -pressed to think of any other Republican who might. (Colin Powell, I suppose.)

Isn't it great to live in an era when we can witness how much a society stands to gain from at least attempting to move towards fairness in matters of race and gender? And isn't it depressing to witness how carelessly that might all be thrown away?

No comments: