Saturday, June 13, 2020

Quality

I can't remember when it was I read Alan Bennett's The Madness of George III, but I do know that much as I enjoyed it and recognised how well-fashioned it was as a play, I could not entirely figure out how it was supposed to work on stage. I remember longing to see it in the theatre and making the assumption that that might never happen. So what a delight it was today to get to see it onstage at the Nottingham Playhouse courtesy of the National Theatre's streaming of their productions on Youtube.

I was right, by the way. It's a brilliant piece of theatre: funny, moving, thought-provoking. I don't know why it is, but it's easy to forget what a wonderful writer Bennett is. But how powerfully one is reminded of that fact when watching anything by him.

No comments: