Sunday, June 28, 2020

Clicking

Of late I've been listening hard, but not hard enough, to some of the symphonies of Sir Malcolm Arnold. They haven't clicked for me in the way those of RVW did years ago, but I know there are riches involved and I'm determined to get at least some understanding of the treasure.

That's the advantage of being brought up in a system that told you that high culture was something you needed to live up to. I've never lost that sense of the need to learn enough to gain access to rarefied worlds beyond me and although it's a bit of a silly idea all told, and it smacks of the breeding of a kind of empty pretentiousness, it's worked for me in the past and continues to do so.

The moment that it all clicks is the moment you realise there was always more to you than met the eye. Even your own.

No comments: