Thursday, June 18, 2020

Look Back In Sadness

Not entirely sure what took my thinking in this direction, but I've been mulling over what I know of the history of the United States in relation to the indigenous peoples of the continent of North America. Realised I just don't know enough and must find out more. As a weak stop-gap measure I found myself listening to a podcast I downloaded quite some time ago from the venerable In Our Time series, featuring a discussion of the Battle of the Little Bighorn. The focus is on the appalling General Custer, but there's enough about the Sioux and Cheyenne warriors involved to afford the listener some sense of what they were fighting for and how unbearably grim their situation was.

As a little lad I used to play a kind of war-game based on the battle. I remember getting the set one Christmas, and the fun we had with it. Now I feel sad about that.

No comments: