Sunday, September 8, 2019

The Right Place

We picked up niece Zahira this afternoon as she'll be accompanying us on our trip up to KL for the week's holiday - as she did at this time last year. We took her to Kinokuniya to 'spend' the book tokens I gave her (the ones I got at the Literature Seminar for services rendered. I split the spoils between herself, Fi Fi and Fa Fa.)

She picked up a sci-fi trilogy by some Chinese writer I've vaguely heard of - quite recently - and I must say it looked intriguing. If it proves too adult for her sensibilities I might just borrow the books myself. Actually she had a chance to change her mind over her choice as she picked up the books in question at the adult section before finding the shelves designated for Young Adult Fiction. I watched her there as she stood dazed and delighted at the sheer range of what was on offer, feeling something of the excitement of my younger self when first exposed to the possibilities of good bookshops.

To be honest, I feel pretty much the same excitement even now in the right place at the right time. Even a good library does it for me.

No comments: