Saturday, September 14, 2019

Fun Is A Serious Business

Now in Sungai Petai, Melaka and warm again after the chill of Genting Highlands. You may be wondering what took us up there, definitely out of my comfort zone, for one. Well it was Noi's idea and, despite the fact I was seriously cold all through breakfast at the hotel, it was a very good one. In case you're wondering why I was cold indoors I should explain that the hotels up there, at least the ones I know, cunningly avoid installing heating systems on the grounds, I suppose, that they are not necessary in the Malaysian climate. I suppose they also take into account that being cold is a sort of unusual holiday experience for most of their clientele, something that some folks actually look forward to (including The Missus, I'm afraid) so they actively seek to supply it at the same time as cutting costs. Now that's what I call a business plan!

In case you're wondering why Noi's idea can be considered a very good one, I should explain that the whole idea was to give a Zahira a break from a pretty dull routine of pawming around shopping malls with the two of us and provide her with a new experience (cold included.) I was a wee bit doubtful that she'd have a good time in the indoor theme park up there on her own, but I was happily very wrong indeed. She's the kind of kid who gives every sign of enjoying her own company and is remarkably self-sufficient - and wonderfully undemanding. On the Friday evening we arrived she tried out all the big rides there, some more than once, and wasn't in the slightest bit abashed at being on her own. I wondered if she might get a bit fed up when we went back for more today, but she continued to have a good time and somehow teamed up with a new friend, with whom she spent a good three hours recapping most of the rides of the previous day.

Genting Highlands, by the way, is more loud and brash than ever. When I first went up there it had a kind of ragged, run-down charm about it, but that's largely gone. I suppose huge injections of cash are responsible and I suppose the place is a huge money-spinner for those with huge amounts of money to spin. But it's difficult to be overly cynical about somewhere that so many kids in their small ways really do enjoy.

(Zahira's new friend was called Tammy, by the way. Her brothers are Tommy and Timmy. I was going to praise her for choosing parents with a keen sense of humour but, thankfully, decided to keep that comment to myself.)

No comments: