Tuesday, September 10, 2019

A Parting Of The Ways

I'm now approaching the end of the Third Part of Zarathustra and have decided to part company with Herr Nietzsche for a short while. Probably just a day. His work is never less than fascinating and he makes for intense company - but a little bit too intense on occasions, if you know what I mean. He's like that friend who gets just that bit too demanding, who sees a bit too much significance in just about everything and is just a bit too angry for his own good too much of the time.

I keep thinking it would have done him good to read some P.G. Wodehouse. In fact, I've got a feeling he's name-checked by Bertie Wooster somewhere, probably in relation to one of Bertie's horrendous girlfriends. Possibly Honoria Glossop. Now I come to think of it, it would probably do me good to read a bit of Wodehouse as a sort of corrective.

No comments: