Friday, October 5, 2018

Unfinished

Just got to the end of Joseph Campbell's Occidental Mythology. As I suspected, it turned out to be a fascinating read, packed with telling insights and illuminating observations. I had no idea, for example, of the extent of veneration of the Prophet's daughter, Fatima, in the Shi'a community - well, in certain Shi'a sects, I should say. But I'm also uneasily aware of the prof's tendency to draw his subjects with the broadest of brush strokes on occasion. Just before the paragraphs on Fatima he observes: Generally in Islam the spiritual character of women is rated very low. I can guess where he gets this idea from but it bears no relation to the Islam I know from close contact. And, I hasten to add, I could pick out similar doubtful generalisations from segments on Buddhism, Hinduism and Christianity.

But it's the broad thesis of The Masks of God that deserves attention, and the final twenty or so pages of the Occidental volume feature a helpful summary of that thesis. Unfortunately, I can't say I genuinely followed all the twists and turns outlined in those pages, so I'm committing myself to another read of the summary before moving on to the final volume. I've got a feeling I'm going to end up doubting those ideas, but sometimes you need clarity on how exactly you disagree with someone's ideas to be sure you are really paying them the attention and respect they deserve.

No comments: