Sunday, October 7, 2018

At A Loose End

The plan had been to get myself to the gym this evening. This was officially kiboshed this morning as I was marking my fifth script of the day and suddenly knew I'd strained a muscle in my back. Who knew that marking could be physically hazardous? (Well, I did, actually, but the knowledge doesn't assist in avoiding the wear and tear induced by the over-intensity of it all.)

By way of a substitute for my abandoned workout I went out earlier to complete 10 laps of the track, brisk-walking style. It helped loosen me up, I suppose, but it didn't feel quite so purposeful somehow. And I didn't have Noi to accompany me, as I did the last time we did a few circuits, as she has popped across to Melaka for the weekend. I had the oddest sense that I was just doing something as a way to pass the time - this being particularly odd since usually time is such a precious commodity for me.

Then it occurred to me that doing a few rounds of the track was a pretty sane way of wasting time compared to other ways that might involve actually doing damage to oneself. So I'm now feeling a bit more cheerful about my evening, but still a bit lost, a bit too loose for complete comfort.

No comments: