Friday, October 26, 2018

In Real Time

Just been watching the news out of the US and noticed an odd disconnect. A few minutes ago the big news channels were announcing the arrest of someone in connection with all those bombs that have been sent to various big cheeses. Sounds like the Feds have got their man. Good. Hope people over there are a bit more safe now.

But here's the odd thing. CNN announce the news from their reporter in the studio around 22.56. I switch over to Fox to see if they're saying the same thing, but they're showing a group of talking heads obviously not aware of any major development in the story being discussed. Fox then cut to some adverts ahead of their 23.00 news broadcast but as the voice is saying what they are going to continue with said voice, that of a lady, finishes with And CNN, oh - or something like that. I guess someone at Fox has been watching CNN and heard the news. I cut to CNN while Fox are running their ads and all sorts of stuff about the arrest, largely conjectural but sounding pretty well-informed is airing.

I cut back to Fox as their 23.00 broadcast begins, seemingly happily oblivious to the breaking story.  But I've got to say that their anchors look oddly stressed. Anyway, around 23.06 Fox suddenly announce the news, confirmed by the Department of Justice with the guys on screen sort of looking surprised, but not all that surprised, if you see what I mean.

Must say, I'm glad I'm not a reporter. It's all a bit too fast-moving for me. If the Fox guys were pretending not to know something that the rest of the US was well aware of,, and had been for a good 10 minutes or so, does that qualify as 'fake' news?

No comments: