Friday, May 1, 2015

Not Exactly Live

Enjoyed an unusual evening of theatre yesterday at the Esplanade. Billed as the National Theatre Live it featured a performance of War Horse which wasn't live in any sense: it was a recording of the original London production. In fact, I'm wondering whether it's generally available on DVD because if it is I'm going to get it, and I'd recommend that you do too. Great theatre, even when it's the recorded version. A moving heart-warming story that manages to be entirely unsentimental and do some kind of justice to all the victims of World War One, regardless of which side they were on. Indeed, the show makes the viewer aware of the absurdity of the very notion of sides.

And the horses themselves! My goodness, the puppet-models somehow come completely to life and remind you of the breath-taking beauty of the noble creatures they represent. And their nobility will stay with me a long time.

No comments: