Friday, September 11, 2026

Jolly Good Show

Gosh, no one could claim that yesterday's performance of Mansur & Liu at the Istana Budaya didn't provide value for money. I reckon that it ran for a full three hours on stage, with a fifteen minute interval to add to that, accounting for the fact that we left the theatre just shy of ten minutes to midnight. That meant we only arrived here at Mak's house in the very early hours of this morning, but it was worth it, if only for the fact that Noi clearly had a great time and chatted merrily about the show for most of the way back.

And rightly so. It looked great - beautiful sets, and quite a number of them, creating a range of enchanting stage pictures, nearly always lit to maximum effect. At one point, following a particularly romantic duet, Noi whispered I love the moon, and I understood exactly why. The costumes were also strikingly handsome, so the cast looked great, as well as sounding great vocally. Which handily matched the first-rate musicianship of the live band. The only criticism I'd tentatively put forward is that it was all a bit too over-amplified for me, and some subtlety got lost as a result. But then I don't think it was conceived as a subtle sort of show - rather being intended as a family-friendly, crowd-pleasing, spectacle. 

Most of all I thought M Nasir's music was a triumph. Lots of hummable immediacy, supported by clever arrangements throughout. It didn't get boring, and considering the sheer length of the proceedings that struck me as an achievement in itself. I suppose if I had a caveat to offer it would be that I thought a script doctor might have usefully cut some twenty to thirty minutes of the running time by tightening some of the lengthier sequences, but I must admit I didn't detect any signs of impatience from the very receptive first night audience. I'm guessing that the creators of the show were driven by the generosity of their imaginations, and more power to them for erring on the side of letting it all out on stage.

No comments: