Saturday, May 25, 2024

Lost And Found

First day of the June vacation (ironically in May) and I've been doubly ironically busy. (And will continue to be so for quite a few days. Just saying.) But broke things up with a visit to my back doc this morning and a cuppa afterwards with the The Missus. The doc reckons my muscles are on the stiff side and I know he's right because that's exactly how they feel. Being hunched over getting stuff done doesn't help - but enough of this moaning.

Which is what I said to myself roughly half an hour ago when it struck me as a good idea to search out RVW's Concerto for Bass Tuba. It's been years since I listened to it, having once possessed a very fine recording by Andre Previn with the LSO and a fabulous soloist, John Fletcher. I sort of half-remembered it as a very fine piece and, playing it again just now, having found the same recording on YouTube, I realised that I'd underestimated just how very, very fine indeed it is.

The day has taken on an entirely fresh complexion. Helped also by a tasty chunk of Noi's patented shepherd's pie. But I must say the tuba concerto would have done the job on its own.

No comments: