Monday, February 5, 2024

On The Surface

I've sometimes lamented here in the past over the boring nature of my dreams. It all seems a bit odd for a sort of imaginative chap like me. Case in point: After doing the dawn prayer on Saturday I went back to sleep and managed to have a mild nightmare about losing some kind of travel ticket. One minute it was in my hands, then I placed it into a bag I was holding, a sort of briefcase, and then it just vanished. Basically the dream involved me looking everywhere for the ticket, with increasing panic, and then I woke up, mildly relieved. Not exactly deep, eh? I'm not sure that even Freud on a good day would have made much of it all (though I suspect he would have come up with some embarrassing stuff about the bag.)

And here's another odd thing. Since my Delirium back in 2022 I haven't had a single genuinely disturbing dream. They've all been happily mediocre. Yet when I was in Fantasyland everything was extreme, with the violent stuff approaching levels of yuckiness that I still find a bit startling. So if all that was in my head back then, where exactly did it go? (Not that I want any of it to come back, of course.)

In a way it's sort of interesting to be a mystery to oneself - but it would be nice to be given some sort of solution.

No comments: