Friday, February 23, 2024

Foundational

Fabulously busy day, inclusive of a wonderful forty minutes or so of deep stillness during Friday Prayers. These days prayers at the masjid have a meditative quality for me that feels just right, simply appropriate somehow.

I suppose it was in line with this sense of being at the centre of things that got me thinking for a few minutes or so of Prof Ed Feser recent excellent post on the argument (for the existence of a divine being) from contingency. My own reversion to a theistic belief system didn't actually begin with consideration of logical argumentation to be honest, but in recent years I've become increasingly convinced of the validity of 'proofs' I'd sort of dismissed in my time at university as a student of the Philosophy of Religion, largely through the help of real thinkers like Prof Feser and their explication of the classic (and sadly disregarded) proofs.

Before I came away from prayers I'd decided to add deeper consideration of the fine details of the arguments offered by Ibn Sina, Aquinas and Leibniz to my reading for the Holy Month of Ramadhan. Looking forward to it, but I'll need to step up in terms of my capacity for hard, focused thought.

No comments: