Thursday, February 15, 2024

Great Expectations

It's a little less than a month before Fasting Month begins - and so a good time to look ahead to the hardships and blessings in store. Today I fixed on my Islamic-themed reading for Ramadhan which, other than consideration of the Noble Qur'an itself, will centre on books by Martin Lings and Gai Eaton. I've read the works in question before, but rereading changes anything worth reading. Which is a bit like observing the fast. It's always the same, yet always with differences.

Last year I was plenty nervous about fasting, wondering whether I could manage when still feeling somewhat less than one hundred percent after recovering from the travails of late 2022. In the event, all went smoothly, almost easily, though it's never easy. This year I'm feeling something in the region of one hundred and ten percent (and extremely grateful for that) and hardly nervous at all - which, I suspect, means I'll pay quite a price for my hubris.

But the price is always worth paying.

No comments: