Friday, February 9, 2024

On The Buses

I'm doing my man of the people thing again, now resorting regularly to public transport since Noi is busy with the car. Last night I took the bus to a Boyos' Nite get-together at the bottom of Clementi Road and came back the same way. And today I bussed it to Masjid Darussalam for Friday Prayers, after which I walked up to Clementi Mall to put some money on my ez link card.

The Mall was fairly crowded, it being the eve of the Chinese New Year, and I was surprised to find the vast majority of shops there open. I grabbed a kopi susu at the Kopitiam place just outside to maintain my working class credentials - and actually felt quite pleased to meditate on just how much cheaper the drink was compared to its equivalent in the Starbucks near-by whilst watching the holiday crowd rushing around for their last minute purchases.

There's a lot to be said for playing the populist card.

No comments: