Sunday, May 7, 2023

Not Quite So Grumpy

Okay, sorry about this, but one last thing regarding the crowning of the king back in GB, or whatever my country names itself as these days. I suppose I should make at least a small attempt to understand those who think that paying attention to the whole coronation shebang was somehow a reasonable thing to do. And since one of those holding that point of view is the inestimable Nick Cave (of 'and the Bad Seeds' fame) I've made a bit of an effort in that direction.

Now I'm a big fan of Mr Cave's wonderful Red Hand Files so reading his typically wise reflections on why he attended as part of the Australian delegation to the big show was no chore. And it makes for an interesting read. But on this one we'll have to agree to disagree since I'm right and he's wrong. I mean, I get the idea of being drawn to... the bizarre, the uncanny, the stupefyingly spectacular, the awe-inspiring, but the coronation was just pointlessly expensive and, well, pointless.

No comments: