Sunday, May 21, 2023

Being There

I had Peter in mind as I spun Hendrix's Band of Gypsys this morning, at a suitable volume. In the old days we had fairly similar tastes in music, but PB was more of a classic blues and rock guy with less of the sometimes pretentious eclecticism that marks my enthusiasms. He was certainly a major fanboy where Hendrix was concerned and soaked in the necessary lore - but with real insights.

I remember when he first asked me what I thought of the great guitarist and I made the requisite noises as to what a brilliant technician Jimi was, then to be confronted with a question about Hendrix's voice. I replied that I thought JH sounded fine within his limitations and was immediately put right. Peter was certain he was a great singer in the soul tradition and the whole point of his playing and singing was the feel he brought to his development of that tradition. I needed little convincing and as we soaked ourselves in JH for the next few weeks felt my ears opening in new and interesting ways.

It strikes me now that Hendrix's ability to be completely there, in the moment, in live performance was matched by a similar quality in Peter as a listener.

No comments: