Monday, April 26, 2021

Fit For Purpose

14 Ramadhan, 1442

I've managed four trips to the gym so far in the course of the fasting month and seem to have done myself some good on the new machine I've been using. Prior to my first trip this year I couldn't recall using the gym in Ramadhan before, but a quick check through posts written in previous years made me realise that I'd made a bit of a routine of doing so just a couple of years ago. Funny how one forgets these things.

What I hadn't forgotten from two years ago were my post-fasting month tribulations with a bad back, culminating in a crisis at the end of the June vacation with the worst attack of sciatic pain I've ever encountered. At the time I wondered whether my workouts had somehow provoked the problems later. I didn't think they had, to be honest, but I couldn't disregard the possibility.

What this means for me now is a certain useful tempering of my complacency over being in reasonably good shape. At my age these things don't necessarily last, and there'll be a time when any sense of being fit will be gone for good. So I'm enjoying it while I can in a measured sort of fashion - at least, I hope that's the case.

No comments: