Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Still Learning

8 Ramadhan, 1442

Thought long and hard about drinking a cup of tea this morning. I'd finished a lesson at 10.00 am and had a bit of time to meditate on things after completing some IO marking for IB. When I say I thought long and hard I don't mean I had any intention of drinking the tea I was thinking about at that point in time. Maintaining the fast was unproblematic. And I don't mean I experienced any sense of immediate yearning. Far from it: I was perfectly content to think ahead to the tea I've just consumed this evening in the knowledge it would be a delightful experience to do that consuming; which it was, powerfully so.

The fast teaches patience. And it teaches appreciation. And it teaches the value of things - simple, everyday, ordinary, unexceptional things. These lessons are easily forgotten, until the lived experience of them.

No comments: