Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Less Than Perfect

I remain puzzled as to why some students develop handwriting that gives every appearance of being designed to be unreadable. In cases where what's being written is close to nonsense there is at least some logic involved in a desire to disguise just how bad the work is. But I sometimes come across scripts which for the most part appear to be saying quite sensible things, yet are indecipherable enough to put this in doubt.

Do the kids doing this make the assumption that the reader at the other end will somehow be prepared to make the effort to wrest from what is in front of them the meaning that was intended? It would be nice to think that the average examiner has such patience. Nice, but extremely naïve, I'm afraid. When I find myself marking this kind of script, as I did with the very last of my load of May's marking, I feel sort of sad at not being able to match up to the expectations of the writer as the perfect reader. But they'll never quite know that, I suppose - and, hence, will never quite learn something that really might be very useful for them to know.

No comments: