Thursday, June 6, 2019

It's Never Easy

Got to the gym this evening for the first time post-Raya. Thought I'd have quite an easy time without being concerned with having fasted during the day. Couldn't have been more wrong. Ran out of energy 15 minutes before the end of my stint. Only just kept going in desultory fashion. Figured out this was likely due to dehydration. The last five occasions I've been in the gym I'd just loaded up with liquid after breaking the fast. This time I'd neglected that aspect of preparation, thinking that after a day of drinking what I wanted when I wanted it just wasn't necessary. Now I'm pretty sure it was.

Funnily enough I'd been chatting about exercise with Hamza and Fuad after prayers on Hari Raya, thinking of myself in a quiet way as a bit of an expert. This evening's struggle certainly brought me down to earth.

No comments: