Saturday, March 30, 2019

The Virtues Of Laziness

It's been a lazy day, and officially so. Mind you, that didn't preclude me getting a couple of jobs done (and the Missus, for that matter.) But when you've been ultra-busy for five solid days a bit of work doesn't feel like even a bit. Oh, and I paid a work-related visit to the doctor's across the road this morning. I've reached an age when in order to convince my employers I'll actually make it through the year ahead I need to get a signed note from a physician to confirm it.

I reckon that if we improved the prospects for laziness at work I'd definitely have no problem in surviving a year, but my statements in support of useful laziness seem to fall on deaf ears. I'm not sure why people would think I'm kidding them over such a serious business, but they appear to. I know there are arguments associating hard work with virtue, and for those who need to ensure survival and a reasonable way of life it's easy to buy into those. But when it becomes difficult to see any real point in being hard-working for its own sake I think the world would be much the better a place for constructive relaxation.

It's worth considering that in my line of work there's a whole class of people whose efforts lead to more stuff to cope with for those on the receiving end, and it's difficult to see exactly how those efforts lead to young people getting educated. Now if such as those could learn to be usefully lazy the world, or my corner of it, would be a better place.

No comments: