Thursday, March 7, 2019

In Delay Lies Some Plenty

I know all about procrastination. As a teenager I was an expert - in the most debilitating sense. Anything of importance, especially of the academic variety, I could leave and did leave to the last possible moment, at the cost of not really fully enjoying any of the stolen minutes leading up to the inevitable. And in my first year as a teacher I found myself doing something similar, until it occurred to me that if I continued I simply couldn't function in the job - so I sort of grew out of it.

But now I find I've discovered the positive side of purposeful procrastination. A fair amount of my work these days is of the utterly pointless variety and I find real pleasure in delaying the most pointless of it all to the absolute final moment, and then getting it done in rigorously mindless fashion. Of course, this means it isn't done well, but then the sheer pointlessness of it means it makes no difference to anyone at all. In order to facilitate the delay I find myself doing stuff that has at least some importance, which then feels almost effortless since it's helpfully preventing me doing the stuff I can't stand.

I offer the above to all connoisseurs of elegantly twisted logic. 

No comments: