Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Plotting

I'm now in one of those periods in which getting any sustained reading done is a major challenge - i.e., impossible. At least I managed to get a bit of reading done last week, the highlight of which was John le Carre's The Russia House. It's obviously a fine novel with much to recommend it, but I need to make a humiliating confession with regard to my experience of reading it. Whilst I coped with the intricacies of the complex plot for the first two-thirds of the novel, I got lost in the final sequence. I just have no idea how the twist, in which the sort of hero figure double-crosses the intelligence service he's supposed to be operating on behalf of, actually worked.

I glanced at some reviews after finishing the book to see whether anyone explains what takes place but none did (rightly so, for spelling out what takes place would be a horrible spoiler) yet it was clear that other folks understood how it worked (or, at least, cleverly bluffed the world they did.) Sadly, I'm not capable of such bluffing and have to accept the grim truth that in certain ways I'm just not very bright.

No comments: