Tuesday, March 19, 2019

A Kind Of Zone

I'm in that happy place where whatever I listen to, music-wise, seems necessary and delightful at the same time. I've been there for a week or so, and would like to stay a lot longer but I suspect my ears will dull with time. It's partly to do with having the space in which to think and listen, but more to do with simple good luck. This kind of thing just happens to me.

The last few days have confirmed for me, if confirmation were necessary, that: Paul Weller live is a source of power and grace that all good people should tap into, especially when driving; that Dylan's gospel period saw him writing great songs that simultaneously challenged and illuminated - and that he performed them greatly too; that John Adams's is responsible for some of the most exhilarating music ever written and it's tremendous fun to take a short ride in a fast machine; and that John Cage could actually compose as well as provoke. And don't even get me talking about RVW. And Papa Haydn. (About to spin The Creation, so that's all for now.)

No comments: