Sunday, December 9, 2018

Not Quite Resolved

Looking back on the declaration of my New Year's Resolution for 2018 I'm agreeably surprised at how sane and apposite it was: When the bad times come, keep a sense of proportion, and remember all the good ones. For once I seem to have been thinking clearly.

The problem lies, I'm afraid, in several failures in the course of the year to live up to my own good sense. The last few days, for example, have been somewhat tarnished by my irritation with Astro, the so-called service providers for satellite television in this nation. The on-going saga of my unfortunate relations with them uncannily parallels the on-going saga of my equally unfortunate relations with Singtel Ltd in another Far Place.

Now you may be thinking at this point that since I've been having an equally fraught time with companies operating either side of the Causeway that there must be some fault in how I've been conducting myself. But all I can say is that I'm only too ready to pay what it takes to get the various channels both companies seek to provide their viewers - and this despite the fact that I'm not all that bothered about watching the telly. The problem is that I'm just not designed for modernity. Or perhaps it's the other way around.

However, none of this provides any kind of good reason for getting hot under the collar. So I won't. Or at least I'll try not to.

No comments: