Tuesday, December 18, 2018

At Random

Decided to minimise the number of books brought to NZ knowing that we'd keep ourselves busy, thus reducing reading time. So I've got just my Thom Gunn Collected and The Real Story of Ah-Q and Other Tales of China: The Complete Fiction of Lu Xun to dip into. Much enjoying the Gunn, having completed the first three individual collections and looking forward to the middle period of the 70s, which I'm generally more familiar with. Reread Lu Xun's Nostalgia today, with much greater understanding than on my first encounter, mainly due to the excellent introduction to this edition (in the Penguin Classics) of his work. Not sure that any of this has any connection at all with our little holiday, but suspect that I'll forever connect them.

The arbitrary nature of one's reading has an odd charm of its own.

No comments: