Saturday, December 1, 2018

A Very Good Dinner

Was reading an article on Casanova's memoirs in the late September issue of The New York Review of Books (print edition) and discovered he writes about no fewer than 200 meals he ate as well the 122 - 136 women he is estimated to have slept with. It struck me that I'd much rather read about the dinners than the women. Not sure what this says about me, but I think it says a lot about the Great Lover that he valued his dinners so highly. Makes him a lot more human somehow.

You may be wondering why I'm still reading an obviously out-dated NYRB and so am I. I've actually only managed to read 3 print editions in the whole of the year. In some ways I'm pleased that I'm holding to the discipline of not buying another copy until I've read the on-going issue from cover to cover. But I'm also uneasily aware of how reading stuff on-line seems to be taking up more and more of my time. For reasons I can't quite articulate such reading seems shallow somehow.

You also may be wondering what I had for dinner myself this evening - though most likely you're not. But sticking to the food theme I'll tell you anyway. The meal went by the somewhat improvisational title Crème Salmon a la Yati and it was sensationally good. Better than anything Casanova ever set about, I reckon, and definitely eaten in better company.

No comments: