Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Signs Of Progress

I wonder what the reaction to England's first outing would have been were it not for Harry Kane's (very) late winner. I suspect there'd have been a good deal of I-told-you-so despair around despite what was obviously a good performance. I suppose it's in the nature of cup competitions to breed this kind of manic intensity, and I suspect it's in the nature of good teams to carry on regardless (and get late winners, because you somehow believe you can.)

From what we've seen so far, given the stumbling of some of the fancied nations, this tournament is wide open, though the best game so far suggests that those might just be the two teams to go all the way. (I'm thinking of Spain & Portugal, by the way - which would be a good thing for the game in general, I suspect.)

No comments: