Thursday, January 18, 2018

(Not The) Same As It Ever Was

When I suppose I should have been doing better things I've been goofing off listening to Talking Heads on Youtube quite a bit over the last twenty-four hours or so. Mind you, I'm stretched to think of what might be a better way to spend time than that.

Fascinating to compare DB with TH performing Once In A Lifetime in his highly limber prime with DB in a distinctly more mature manifestation performing that same classic. Sort of the same, but entirely different. A suggestion I'd venture is that it's that ability to reinvent the self that's a sign of a performer/artist of real worth.

Maybe the concept extends beyond that to Everyman. Could it be that our ability to reinvent ourselves whilst remaining the same is a useful marker of some kind of depth or worth?

No comments: