Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Not A Political Animal

Some of my students were asking me today which way I would vote, if I did vote at all, in the UK's forthcoming General Election. It struck me that, though deeply concerned with the political future of my nation, I wasn't at all sure there was any party I would cast a vote for at this point in time with any degree of enthusiasm.

This sense of being out of things reminded me of something I realised about myself at university. I knew then that, though some aspects of my personality were sort of suited to dabbling in politics of some variety, I had absolutely no inclination to be involved in any kind of political activity. In recent times I've come to mildly regret not even contributing to what might broadly be termed Civil Society, but it is just a mild regret. Some part of me knows that I did the right thing, even if it was wrong.

No comments: