Thursday, April 6, 2017

An Element Of Uncertainty

To my surprise I finished Richard North Patterson's political thriller Balance of Power earlier this evening. I've been exceptionally busy dealing with the bloated Toad, work, this week and thought I'd need a bit of free time over the weekend (assuming I can carve some out) to deal with the last couple of hundred pages. But the final stages of the plot were so riveting I just couldn't put the novel down in the free time I managed to achieve (when I should have been sleeping) and so reached the highly satisfactory, and beautifully plotted, conclusion in between leaving work and starting work again for the evening.

Funnily enough, though I'd generally enjoyed the first two-thirds of the story it hadn't held me as had No Safe Place, the other Patterson I've read. In fact I'd sort of decided there'd be no more Patterson for me, despite his many virtues. Now I'm not so sure.

No comments: