Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Status Quo

Sat in a workshop this morning in which I was told several times that everything about teaching was soon to change. I'm guessing that when people feel the need to repeat the assertion they are making they think this somehow makes the assertion more real. I have heard this assertion repeatedly repeated in each decade of my career as a teacher and in the following decades thinking historically: the 1970s, the 1980s, the 1990s, the 2000s, the 2010s. If I live until the 2020s and am still plying my trade (a sad possibility, I'm afraid) I'm expecting that someone somewhere will feel the need to tell me the same thing.

In that time very little about the job has changed. Except it's got busier.

Oh, and by the by, as a kid in school in the 1960s the lessons I experienced were pretty much the same as those that kids enjoy and endure today. But the teachers looked more relaxed somehow.

No comments: