Thursday, May 26, 2016

Lost Time

Watching something on the telly about cyclists in Malaysia I had a vivid memory of how important my bike was to me when I was around ten years old and living at Haughton Green. Our gang created what we considered a speedway track on a field near one of the schools up there, where we also built bonfires. I think we spent more time on our bikes in those days than on foot.

The local speedway team, the Belle Vue Aces were our great heroes. They seemed to win everything associated with the sport. But I don't think I ever actually saw them live, as it were. Hearing of their exploits was good enough for me.

Does speedway exist as a sport anymore? I imagine the Belle Vue Aces must have passed into legend long ago, along with the amusement park. Paradise lost, as it always is.

No comments: