Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sort of Retrospective - On The Road

Why are the standards of driving in Singapore so bad? Noi has commented a number of times already on how much easier driving is in the UK and she wasn't even the one behind the wheel. But even a passenger rapidly becomes aware of the generally high level of courtesy on the roads in places like Hyde and how much easier this makes life. As she has said recently to a number of Singaporeans: They don't need yellow boxes everywhere. The truth is you'd feel out of place if you didn't sensibly give way to others since pretty much everyone else is doing the same. It just makes driving a lot less stressful.

In the first two weeks back here I reckon I've been cut into and had to take evasive action at least once each day. And I still don't understand why signaling that you intend to change lane is interpreted as aggressive behaviour to be countered by accelerating to ensure that any such change will be extremely difficult.

This is all less than relaxing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you see, good sir, when you a car in Singapore, signal lights come as an option!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree that Singapore has the absolute worst roads, especially for cyclists!! If you're a cyclist on the road you're pretty much the lowest form of life and subject to aggressive and rude taxi drivers and motorists who make it impossible to train or ride safe here unless you're in a group of at least 10.

Trebuchet said...

Yes. In my first driving test, a huge black SUV attempted to shove me off the road. My otherwise phlegmatic tester told me, "Why you never take evasive action?"

My reply would have been unprintable, had I dared to make it. A 1600cc Toyota should never contest the road with a 3000cc SUV.