Friday, March 29, 2024

Thirst

18 Ramadhan, 1445

I rarely feel actually hungry during the fasting month. Going without eating anything between roughly 6.00 am to 7.15 pm isn't terribly difficult for me. In fact, in some ways it's a bit of a relief, simplifying the day. But going without anything to drink during that time is a different matter. So it's always images of glasses of water and cups of tea that haunt me in the early days of the month. Now, not so much.

But even then it's difficult to pin down moments of actual distinct thirst. It's more a case of the irritation of not being able to fulfil one's habits. Except, that is, for when real thirst hits which it does for me if I exercise ahead of the breaking of the fast. I did that again today and the last ten minutes before the time to buka were filled with a keen physical sense of yearning. Which made that first sip of water all the more meaningful and fulfilling.

I reckon I'm becoming a little bit addicted to working out in the hour or so prior to the breaking of the fast. That feeling of thirst is worth experiencing, even if only to slake it. But I suspect its value lies more simply as a reminder of how vulnerable to our appetites we are.

No comments: