Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Having A Good Time

16 Ramadhan, 1445

There's always a day in the fasting month when it suddenly occurs to me, usually in the late afternoon, that I'm really enjoying the process of fasting. Today was that day. Yet, paradoxically, I was far thirstier than usual when actually breaking the fast (basically because I'd been enjoying shouting a lot at a basketball game.)

I'd like to understand where the enjoyment comes from, but I'm reluctant to push the analysis too far. There's something about the experience of fasting that seems designed to defy analysis. The Holy Qur'an is simple and clear as to the rewards involved and that's enough.

(By the way, this is not to say that I won't find myself struggling tomorrow and sort of wishing the month had reached its end.)

No comments: