Sunday, January 7, 2024

Words And Music

I am never merry when I hear sweet music, says Jessica in the fifth act of The Merchant of Venice, in the bit where the rather self-satisfied young nobles of Venice are chatting about music. Must say I agree with her. I suppose we all do.

For example, listening to VW's wonderful Serenade to Music does not instill cheerfulness, though doing so brightens doleful days in other ways. And discovering that I was wrong in assuming the music in question is a purely orchestral piece was a dolefully cheering reminder that my ignorance of stuff I might be thought to know about has few bounds. I posted a link to a lovely orchestral version back on the second day of the year only to discover the very next day that the original version was intended for orchestra and voices (sixteen of them) and that the first recording is easily available on-line. The 'lyrics' are essentially a neatly edited lift from the Act 5 'music' of the Merchant, from which I quote above.

Must say, though, it took me a couple of listens before I warmed up to the version with voices (even though I was listening to the actual individual singers VW had in mind when he wrote the serenade.) My usual prejudice regarding 'fruity' sounding voices initially got in the way. What helped me overcome this was when I realised it would be a good idea to put the actual words from the play in front of me as I listened and then it all came together. 

A potent mix. 

No comments: