Thursday, January 11, 2024

Gripped

Got started on The Dark Is Rising and found myself instantly hooked. Great opening with a genuine uncanny power. What exactly is happening to Will that makes the animals so afraid of him? Susan Cooper has gone up a notch or three on the earlier novel, and seems to be writing for a more mature audience. At least three years senior to the assumed readership of Over Sea, Under Stone, as far as I can tell. But why the inconsistency in the sequence? Was it planned?

Oh, and I should add that, contrary to the impression I may have given in my previous post about my reading of fiction falling flat, I was completely knocked out by two novels recently read (well, re-re-re-read) for teaching purposes: Kawabata's Snow Country and Solzhenitsyn's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. And to think that I get paid for this! Hah!

No comments: