Saturday, January 13, 2024

Up Close

Got up close and personal with some Toru Takemitsu this morning, simultaneously supping on my milo. An excellent way to start the day. Kicked off with I Hear The Water Dreaming and followed that with a bunch of shortish water-themed pieces with the flute leading the way. All very sumptuous and harmonically gorgeous - enough astringency involved to add the sour to the sweet.

Astonishing that TT was largely self-taught!

And later in the day I chanced upon a fine article by the excellent Jan Swafford - possibly my favourite writer on 'serious' music - making the case for Takemitsu as the greatest film composer of all time. Made me wish I'd heard enough of his scores for movies to be able to agree - though there's a fair argument that the music for Kurosawa's Ran is proof enough.

No comments: