Thursday, September 28, 2023

Theory And Practice

Gwenda has just announced her pregnancy to Wulfric, and the foundations have been laid for Merthin's bridge. As for Caris, I have no idea why she's making life so difficult for Merthin. And don't get me going on Ralph who's shaping up as a major Ken Follett villain despite the signs earlier in World Without End that he isn't fundamentally such a bad chap.

Why do we get so caught up in the purely imagined lives of characters who don't exist, except in the pages of imaginative fictions? As far as I can tell, this is the kind of question that bothers literary theorists. Frankly, whilst I find it mildly interesting, deep down it doesn't concern me all that much. What bothers me is finding out what happens to Gwenda and Wulfric and Merthin and Caris and Ralph, plus a load of other folk who live in the non-existent but astonishingly real Kingsbridge.

So that's enough for now. I'm off for a bit of a read before bedtime.

No comments: