Thursday, September 21, 2023

A Sense Of Wonder

I've now experimented with playing two albums by Stevie Wonder at a couple of sessions in the gym and the results have been, as expected, excellent in all respects. One slightly unexpected aspect of the experience though has been the fact that I've found myself listening to songs I've known inside out for some five decades with new ears simply as a result of being on the elliptical trainer as they've been blasting out. I've always thought of Fulfillingness First Finale as pretty much a perfect album and that was amply confirmed by hearing it in the gym. It's so warm, so rich. And then tonight I gave a spin to the earlier, more raw and earthy Music of my Mind and just fell totally in love with everything on it precisely because it lacks the sheen of the later album. Those drums! So richly, drivingly, messy.

And that voice! Or, rather, voices since Stevie so often multi-tracked himself - and still sounded completely spontaneous. I've no idea how he did it, but I'm so glad he did.

No comments: