Thursday, September 7, 2023

Cleaning Up

Not sure why vacuuming books and magazines and other sundry bits and pieces helps me feel like I'm in control of things. But it does. So I do it, partly for that reason, but mainly because it's a sensible thing to do. All the rushing around we were doing in the June vacation meant I didn't have time to clean all the shelves in Hall and it bothered me - not intensely, really quite mildly, but I felt the lack.

And I've managed to put that right since last Friday, on and off, completing the whole exercise by doing the business here at Maison KL today. (Though I did manage to do some cleaning here in late June, which meant today's exercise didn't need to be quite as intense as those back in our usual Far Place.)

Another interesting side-effect of all the cleaning is the sense of nostalgia it instils in me as I mentally review each item combined with some vague sense of re-visiting the books that are crying out for my company. But that involves a modicum of plain old-fashioned guilt, I'm afraid. There may be world enough but I'm not so sure about time. Though nobody ever is, eh?

No comments: